Saturday, October 31, 2009

NightStick LED Flashlight



Here I will review the NightStick 1112 LED flashlight (photo from GoodMart.com.)

In my job, a reliable light is necessary, so I depend on LED light sources for their battery and bulb life. I carry 2 flashlights when I am in the field and this is the one I place in the work vest. I was attracted to the large "flood" feature for giving train signals in the dark, where the size of the light source is more important than the brightness of the spot. The brightness of the spot function was a nice surprise as I use another flashlight for that function.

The data sheet says the following about the light:
  • Spot, 1 LED - 25 lumens
  • Flood 12 LEDs- 24 lumens
  • Battery life: (4xAAA alkaline cells)
  • 18 Hours Spot
  • 16 Hours Flood
  • 8 Hours Both
  • Movable/removable clip
  • 6.9" long.
  • 3 oz.
I have removed the clip from mine, it just slides on and off, and I don't trust the clip for my line of work, but it can hold the light in an appropriate manner for illuminating a clipboard from your pocket.
The design gives a good gripping surface, relatively slip free, and is not likely to roll around much. It fits in your pocket nicely due to being ovoid.
I have a slight issue with the power switch, it is difficult to actuate with the clip in place as it is under where the clip would be.

One modification I have done to this light was to place some retro-reflector in a ring on the spot end of the light, adding to the visibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment