Monday, July 30, 2018

Cleaning Up

I have a hopeless garage. We have never put a car in it for the last 20+ years. It is provisionally a "Workshop", but there is too much of my stuff in there for it to function as such.

I had a little space at one point, then a table was put in for "Temporary" storage. it is now about a foot deep in stuff.

That's it. I am doing something about it this next week.
My order of operations are:

  • Toss broken stuff and "future fixes". 
    • I know it is in there, but I haven't done it yet and likely will not.
  • Toss "Spare Parts"
    • It is easier to pick up the right bolt/screw/nut from Tacoma Screw or Home Depot than to find it in this mess.
    • I will keep a small collection of screws and such, but not nearly of the scale I have in there now.
  • Toss "Home Repair Supplies"
    • Same thing, easier to buy than find. 
    • I do intend on keeping a small amount of wire nuts and some such, but not much.
  • Possibly toss the oversize vice I have mounted on the end of my workbench. 
    • It must weigh at least 50 pounds. 
    • I have never used it except to hold another, smaller, vice.
    • My brother gave it to me when he moved.
    • The scrap yard will pay me for it.
  • Remove old shelving from the North wall.
    • It is decent stuff, just not suited to my storage needs.
    • Replacement shelving will be open below for parking roll carts.
    • I may just remove the bottom 3 shelves, leaving a single shelf across the top for now.
  • Build a roll cart for some parts bins I have but cannot use well as they are long and bulky. 
    • They do stack, but are not easy to access.
    • A simple rolling cart will do to store them as drawers.
  • Build flipper roll carts for bench-top tools that I don't use much.
    • These are a great idea, as they take up the same space they would if they were sitting on a shelf, but are much easier to pull out and use.
    • Scroll saw, Planer, Band Saw, etc.
    • They can park under the new shelves that I will be placing on the North Wall.
    • If I have an odd number of these, I will leave one table empty.
  • Clear out the area under the main workbench for more rolling storage.
    • Currently there is a shelf under there built from an old door that is not that useful.
    • Rolling carts would be better for access, the back of the cart could be used for less often accessed tools.
  • Remove the pegboard from over the main workbench.
    • To me pegboard is not that useful.
    • Perhaps replace it with a french cleat system, they appeal to me. And you can make the bins to fit what you need.
If I can manage the first 5 points on this list before my weekend is over, I will call it a victory. 

I have nearly a week off with my brother in law hanging out with a need to do something. I think he would like to help with this job. We have a couple of other small projects to do as well. He runs on beer and loves to do small (or large) projects when he comes out. A couple of summers ago he helped me replace our back deck with composite decking.

I am, bravely, including a couple of before photos. It shouldn't be hard to improve on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment