Thursday, July 19, 2018

I'm Not Really Missing it Much.

Well, I am now more than halfway through my "Month Without Facebook."

It was a bit of an adjustment at first. My job is primarily waiting for something to happen. I monitor operators signing in on one day, I wait for problems to come to me on another, and the remainder I just wait for emergencies.
I have a hard time figuring out how to keep busy. Facebook was filling that gap for years. Eventually I was just spending my time there, reading posts from friends, joining special interest groups, playing silly games.

Reading posts from friends is what I am missing most. I am looking forward to returning to Facebook for pretty much that only.

The SIGs are kind of nice. Most of them were hobby oriented, and they would incite me to spend money. The others invariably ended up politically oriented and served too much as an echo chamber. I learned nothing from them and the information presented was not always useful.

The silly games are self explanatory. I still play Angry Birds, as it was pretty much the only one I played anyway. Years ago I played Mafia Wars and Farmville, but I grew bored with them and it became tedious to play them for no return.

As I said, I do miss posts by my friends. The SIGs, I can get from Reddit, but I haven't gone there but maybe once since the beginning of the month. I am able to save up money for a large purchase in the sometime future, but I have no pressure to spend it. News I now get from Reuters.com or News.Google.com. Reuters is one of the leading neutral news sources, no opinion, and little bias. Just the facts. Google is more of an aggregate, taking news from other sources that you have to decide on for yourself.

As for a place to vent my opinions, that's what this blog is for. I intend to continue create content for it, even if nobody ever reads it. I have ads, but I won't be concerned if nothing ever comes from them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment