Sunday, July 15, 2018

Diabetes and Dieting

Whew, it happened again.

My internal low blood sugar "Alarm" woke me up this time. At least this time I had the sense to get up and verify it. Down to 49 mg/dl. A hand full of chocolate covered granola, and 20 minutes later it is back up to 90 and I felt comfortable going back to bed, as the strange feeling and sweats were absent. My morning blood sugar was at 79, about where it should be. When I took my evening blood sugar level, before taking my 'fast' insulin, it was at about 120. I cut my dose in half per my doctor's instructions but it still dropped me too low.
This

A few days earlier, I had a similar experience and so I can recognize the symptoms a lot better now.

I think the main trigger for last night's episode was a 1 day "Crash" diet, just over 1,000 calories, in an attempt to overcome my perceived plateau. I ended up at 1480 calories for the day. The crash did force a downward plunge in the weight, but I will have to be more careful of what and when I eat and medicate.

Today's plan will be:

  • Breakfast: 210 calories
    • Quick oats: 150 calories
    • Honey: 60 calories
  • Snack: 160 calories
    • 16 oz Strawberries: 160 calories
  • Lunch: 333 calories
    • Salad: 53 calories (Just bagged lettuce mix)
    • Sesame Ginger dressing: 100 calories
    • Carl Budding Turkey (2): 180calories
  • Afternoon caffeine: 30 calories
    • Wired energy: 30 calories
  • Dinner: 140 calories
    • Protein shake: 140 calories
  • Drive home snack:
    • Pepperoni sticks: 375 calories
A total of 1,248 calories for the day. Or a deficit of 780 calories from my calculated BMR. And 2250 below my expected actual burn according to Fitbit. As long as I am careful of my blood sugar levels, I should be able to keep up this plan.

The trick, for me at least, is that I could have whatever I want. But, I have to account for it. A 16 minute mile accounts for about 275 calories. If I want that slice of cheesecake, I have to work it off, or skimp elsewhere in my daily intake. Frankly, I am lazy and will eat a pound of strawberries instead, to me they taste better, don't upset my blood sugar level as much, and I am lazy besides. I would rather that walking be done to remove weight than to compensate for a momentary pleasure.

By strictly measuring my intake I am also less likely to graze. Absent minded eating while doing other things. I can have that cup of chips, but I have to measure it out first and record it. Meanwhile I am trying to get my wife to start monitoring her intake as she was complaining that her progress is stagnating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment